Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The One MLM Rule, You Don't Want To Break

When I first started my business in MLM, I used to promise volume to people. I used to do whatever it took to bring them into my business, whether or not they wanted. The advantage I had was that I knew I could always sponsor more people, and so I could at least initially keep my promise. Unfortunately when I gave people this volume they came to expect a cheque. The thing was, they were not willing to do any work themselves! It did not motivate them, rather it made them even more lazy.

So what happened? In the beginning they were getting a cheque. Sometimes quite a sizeable one! So you are probably thinking, that is great, that would keep you customers, right? Wrong. Once people start getting a cheque, they start expecting a cheque. And if that cheque at anytime decreases, they feel cheated. Cheated??? I am not sure what kind of world they live in, they took a product that was incredibly healthy, and were given money!! And the scary part is that they never did any work what so ever to deserve that cheque. So when the money decreases because some of the line below them starts to see some attrition, rather than going out and finding new people, they complain. Yes you heard me right they complain!! Imagine that. You are given something for free and you complain. And you know what happens next? They eventually quit too.

So my advise to you (and what I do now) is never promise anything. You are giving someone an opportunity, not a lottery ticket. Explain right out of the gates that this is a business. A business has ups and a business has downs. Customers and associates come and go. Sales will go up and sales will go down. If they want to make money they will have to work. No actually they will have to work hard. Very hard. If they want to make money they will have to work for it. Just like anything else in life. And it won't happen overnight. A business takes years to build, not weeks or months. This business is hard, and they will have to work to get their first, second and 100th cheque. Any volume that you may or may not give them is a gift, not a right.

So take my advice, don't promise anything in this business. Be honest, be upfront and you won't appear desperate, and you won't end up sponsoring people who don't deserve your opportunity in the first place. If they don't get it and they aren't willing to work, then sponsor them as a customer!! Tell them you are not willing to sponsor them as an associate unless you know they actually get it, and they commit to you and themselves, that they are willing to do the work. Be strong, be tough, not desperate, and your business and you will be much better off.

No comments: